Welcome

Welcome to my blog.
Since I have taken A Wolf's Paradise offline in hopes of it going into publication, I will be changing the scope of my blog.

I am now going to try and provide a forum if you will, for all things writing. Friends that would like to throw out short-stories, interviews, reviews, etc, etc.

Let me know what you've got, I'm willing to help in any way that I can.

Cheers, Mates!

JRH

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Chapter Three...Beginnings

Beginnings

Chapter Three


"The journey of a thousand miles begins beneath one's feet."
Lau Tzu

 

  Hi my name is Max Soluski, the root of the name being Solus which means "alone" in Latin, you might find that interesting after I’ve blathered on for a little bit longer. I’ve spent my entire life in the backwoods towns of a place called Central VT. The Barre-Montpelier area to be more specific, and no it’s not pronounced bar; it’s more like bury, which coincidentally is how I feel living here, buried. Most people who have never been to VT before, outside of New Englander’s, think that VT is in Canada, it’s not, it’s that tiny speck on the map in between NY and NH, Canada is above us. Yes people, the school systems are failing us everywhere.

  A friend of mine told me once that the mountains here have a way of closing in around you, making it even harder to get out. One of my favorite singers, Steve Earl once wrote a song that had a line in it, “Won’t nothing bring you down, like your home town.” They were both right on cue, at least to my way of thinking; most days I feel like I’m a prisoner here waiting to be exonerated for my crimes so I can get the hell on.

    It’s hard to live somewhere that you don’t want to be, especially when you don’t feel like you belong there, or you feel like you’re an outsider. Not having any family or friends, and being shipped from one strangers house to another, time after time kind of makes you feel like an outsider. It’s not that I think that I’m better than the next guy, I just feel like there’s more for me out there beyond the shadow of the mountains. I need wide open spaces; I want to be able to see for hundreds of miles without a mountain obstructing my view. I guess I have claustrophobia on a grand scale, it’s statewide, ha-ha. 

Check back soon for the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment